ARV Procurement Working Group
APWG supports the ARV market in low- and middle-income countries through procurement, strategically managed demand and reduced fragmentation.
Business Online, Newyork, 1st block
1234 Building no 8, floor 3
Phone: 5586 554 558
ARV Procurement Working Group
Established as a result of an intervention proposed in the Global Fund’s May 2011 Market Shaping Strategy, the ARV Procurement Working Group (APWG) was set up in 2011 with the aim to "secure the paediatric ARV market" by adopting a coordinated approach to the procurement of low volume paediatric ARVs that evolved in 2016 to include ARVs with similar dynamics for adolescents and adults.
The APWG promotes the uptake into national guidelines of optimal products recommended by the World Health Organisation and facilitates the procurement of low volume products through promoting quarterly order placement cycles either directly through its Procurement Consortium members or indirectly for other procurement channels by aligning on timelines.
The APWG is comprised of diverse partners and stakeholders organized into two inter-linked groups: the ARV Procurement Working Group and the Procurement Consortium.
The ARV Procurement Working Group is the umbrella group including all stakeholders and partners of various interests and mandates in supporting the collective efforts toward securing the ARV market – it is chaired by the Global Fund and includes:
• Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)
• Ethiopia Pharmaceuticals Fund and Supply Agency (PFSA)
• Global Fund
• Kenya Medical Supply Agency (KEMSA)
• Partnership for Supply Chain Management (PFSCM)
• Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO)
• Global Health Supply Chain - Procurement and Supply Management Program (GHSC-PSM)
• U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through United States agency for international Development and
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
• United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
• United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
A P W G
APWG Webinar – Introduction to New Optimal ARVs and Country Supply Planning
• African Community Advisory Board (AFROCAB)
• Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi)
• Enfants et VIH en Afrique (EVA)
• International AIDS Society (IAS)
• Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
• Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
• Medicines Patent Pool (MPP)
• Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
• World Health Organization (WHO)
The Procurement Consortium is a sub-set of the working group focusing on the alignment and coordination of procurement operational activities. The consortium aims to achieve the coordinated procurement approach defined and agreed upon by the ARV Procurement Working Group.
Reduction in manufacturing delivery lead times for optimal products
Number of countries ordered through the APWG members
Percentage of APWG orders for Optimal and Limited Use products
Between 2013 and 2017